4 September 2017

Visiting the Penguin Random House Shop


It's the Labour Day long weekend, but I worked on Saturday and my husband is working today so Friday was 'fun day'.  We took the train to Toronto, along with scores of people attending Fan Expo and the Canadian National Exhibition.  It was like being in a Star Wars film; a quarter of the train was filled with costumed characters from all sorts of video games and films, which certainly bumped up the fun factor!

Our destination was BMV on Bloor for second-hand book shopping and if we had time, a stop at the Penguin Random House office tower at 320 Front Street.  We made time.


The Penguin Random House shop is on the ground floor, watched over by staff from the office on a rotation basis.  A nice diversion from desk work, I'd say!  The space isn't very large but it's cleverly stocked with sliding shelves to maximize space.


The eye-catching colours and beautiful cover art, complete sets of tempting novellas...well, it's enough to make a bibliophile's pupils dilate.


This micro-shop also stocks mugs, tote bags, cards, pins and t-shirts.  You could manage your Christmas shopping while on your lunch break.  Rather enticing....


Between BMV and Penguin Random House, we came home with four books each.  In my case, one book containing two stories, two novellas and one short story.  Yes, it's still all about Virginia Woolf.

If you live in the GTA and didn't know about this micro bookshop, I hope you're encouraged to add it to your list of places to visit.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to have that bookstore near enough to visit once in a while. Penguin has published so many of the sorts of books I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If pressed for time, I'll browse the shelves in second-hand book shops by publisher....and yes, the Penguin imprint always catches my eye. It's a lovely shop!

      Delete
  2. I love the posters (or prints?) I see in magazines that look like the old-style covers from their books... someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own the box of postcards featuring the old covers, Audrey. They get 'played' with fairly often - sort of like playing with hockey cards, only different.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about this. I have only been in Toronto once. But if ever again.... this knowledge will stay with me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Penguin RH had a Toronto office. Much less a bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's an adventure for you, Susan! Catch the bus and see what you can find. All the best!

      Delete
  5. That is so different from the chaotic secondhand bookshop (with resident parrot) that I visted yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, Mary! The Penguin shop did have a stuffed mascot though....

      Delete